Friday, January 29, 2010

Relativism. On denying God and gravity.

There is an attitude I’ve experienced that I’m having trouble understanding. I think it exposes the depths of human pride and arrogance and is a clear example of the relativism pervading human thought (especially WESTERN thought).

How do I describe it?

Well - it’s the kind of thinking that assumes our own beliefs are what is important and those beliefs make our own reality.

The particular example I have in mind was a discussion with a person who assumed that his non-belief in God excused him from any possible consequences for that non-belief.

There was no recognition of a firm concrete truth that remains firm and concrete regardless of human belief.

Every human on earth could deny God’s existence and that would make absolutely no difference to whether God exists or not.

Likewise, every human could believe strongly in God and that belief would make absolutely no difference to whether God exists or not.

Either he REALLY exists or He doesn't - and it would be foolish to think our own beliefs make a difference to that truth.

I could deny the reality of gravity, but my non-belief would not protect me from the consequences of jumping from a plane without a parachute. Therefore if I intended to jump from a plane I would be wise to check out the validity of my belief before it became too late.

4 comments:

lee said...

People do this within the church too. They decide they don't have to obey something in Scripture because they choose to believe that's not what the verse really means. But, of course, their belief doesn't nullify God's Word--just like you said.

Onesimus said...

Yes Lee, it happens all the time in the church, when people try to force scripture to agree with what they want to believe.

It's a very easy thing to achieve. When isolated verses are taken from their context we can find a verse to support anything - especially when we ignore other parts of scripture. That's why I'm constantly saying that the WHOLE of scripture is God's revelation and not individual "texts" removedd fromf the context of the rest of scripture.

Mike said...

Your argument is inconsistent at a basic level. The belief in God is a choice, since there is absolutely no evidence that God exists. The belief in God is an individual interpretation of observation, not verifiable or falsifiable, as you have pointed out...people's belief does not affect the fact that God exists, but it also does not affect the fact that God does not exist. The "belief" in the existence of gravity is not a choice.

Onesimus said...

Mike said: "there is absolutely no evidence that God exists"?
---
I can see more evidence for the existence of God than I can see for YOUR existence.